Sunday, October 26, 2014

Birds 2 Reptiles 0

Warning:  as you may gather from the title, some reptiles were (severely) harmed in the events depicted herein.  If you don't like seeing dead things, I suggest exit now.

I posted on my main blog about an incident in which a Kookaburra dined on some form of skink.  Here is the main image from that event.
In the same walk there was an altercation between a fair sized Lace Monitor (aka Goanna) representing reptiledom, and a pair of Pied Currawongs and a Superb Lyrebird holding the flag of avifauna.  As everyone got away from that with no mortal injuries I don't count that in the scoring.

Returning home I saw a Pied Currawong fly into their nest tree carrying a decidely used-looking Jacky Lizard. That doesn't enter the scoring as I didn't get an image.

However on the evening of 25 October a Currawong again flew into the nest tree with "something" in its beak.  It parked the prey on a small branch and started to carve it up.
 In this second image the serrated shape of the tail suggests that this is also a Jacky Lizard.
The bird seemed happy to leave the corpse in situ for later dining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.