Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A note on Eastern Yellow Robins

In a recent post about the general topic of Robins - mainly the Australo-Papuan flavour of same - I commented that the Eastern Yellow Robins had taken up residence in some dense vegetation in our garden.  This afternoon I spotted one perched in a very exposed position.
Slightly behind it was another bird with a long worm or - more likely looking at the food section of HANZAB - caterpillar in its beak which it showed no signs of eating.  I therefore suspect that it had a nest full of chicks somewhere close at hand.  Shortly afterwards I took a poor photo of both birds sitting in the base of the bushes.
I never found the nest but a couple of days later a bird was hopping around making begging noises and attracting the attention of several other species.  I strongly suspect this was a recently fledged young bird, possibly at the stage - not officially recognised by ornithologists or (left wing) sociologists -  of Indolent Young (ie capable of independent living but prefers to bludge off its parents).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.