Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bungendore excitements

Last weekend my friend Denis was driving through Bungendore and he noticed at least 6 Banded Lapwings in a paddock beside the Kings Highway, just on the Queanbeyan side of Trucking Yard Lane.  This afternoon (24 October 1615) we stopped briefly and counted 7 Lapwings still there.  A little later another friend, from Wamboin, spent a little more time and got to 12 birds.

On 27 October I passed the paddock latein the afternoon and also got to at least 12 Banded Lapwings.

Earlier today I had got a phone call from Kim to say that he was seeing Plumed Whistling Duck (PWD) on the dam in Trucking Yard Lane.  I was at Gundaroo at the time and couldn't get to the dam until just after seeing the Lapwings.  There were 9 PWD present.
Interestingly, every other duck in the area flew away as we got out of the car but the PWD remained to be photographed!   Until recently they have been very rarely recorded in this area, and this is the second time I have seen them in this location.

The next three magnificent images were taken by Kim McKenzie, earlier in the afternoon of 24 October, as the birds flew into the pond on Trucking Yard Lane from the dam in the next paddock.



1 comment:

  1. Nice report.
    Your friend takes great shots of the PWDs.
    Thanks for plugging the Banded Lapwings.
    I have not yet posted about them, still trying to catch up with the Orchids of my trip.
    Cheers
    Denis

    ReplyDelete

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.